Friday, February 7, 2014

Super Simple: Jello Playdough or Why I Will Not Be Buying Playdoh Again



Oh Man, you guys. This is so easy. I have to share. I wish I had known about this sooner.

If you have little kids, you probably have some playdoh in the house, (maybe in the carpet?). It is great for their little motor skills, and the dexterity of their little hands + their creativity and sense of accomplishment.

My son loves playdoh. It is the most frequent activity he requests. In fact I can't remember a day without playdoh in it somewhere. He loves it that much.

One day we sat down to play with his playdoh, and it was so dried out it was unusable. Gross, crumbly and no longer pliable. So I started researching online. I found a few Jello Playdough recipes and decided I had to try it.

Bulleted benefits of Jello Playdough:
  • Jello Playdough is so easy to put together. It comes together in about 10 minutes. Less than the time it takes to go to the store to get more playdoh.
  • One batch of Jello Playdough is approximately 3 1/2 cans of storebought playdoh.
  • It doesn't dry out as quickly as it's commercial counterpart. (planned obsolescence?)
  • It smells amazing. Whatever flavor your Jello is will be the scent of the Jello Playdough!
  • It is a fun activity for your kids to help make. They like to measure and pour.
  • It feels like a science experiment when the dough forms a ball during the cooking process.
  • Jello Playdoh is more pliable. It just feels "softer and smoother:"
  • Its way cheaper. 1 Jello packet costs about .69 and makes 3x what a .79- $1.50 can does. The rest of the items are already pantry staples. I could calculate what they all cost as well, but that is a waste of time since I will come to the same conclusion. 
  • Warm Jello Playdough feels amazing. 
  • Super bright colors

By now I know you are pumped, right? I tried a few different recipes, and adjusted them. Many Jello Playdough recipes call for cream of tartar, but I have no idea what it does. I made it both ways and saw no difference.

Here is the recipe we have been making the past 2 weeks:

1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Salt
2 TBSP  coconut oil
1 Jello packet

Mix ingredients together and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly until dough forms a ball. Turn out on a floured surface and let it cool. Knead a bit, then play.

the dough ball


It really is that easy. 


My little guy cut out a bunch of hearts for me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment